If you’re interested in learning more, please send an email with “Head of Process Development” as the subject line, your resume, and 1-2 sentences about why you’re excited about the role to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will get back to you ASAP! We look forward to hearing from you!
Location: Los Angeles, CA
About The Company:
Orbillion is a top-tier cell-cultured meat company that crafts heritage meats from wagyu beef, wild elk, lamb, and American bison. After only 4 months of development time, Orbillion presented three of its four different flavorful meats in a first-ever exclusive tasting in San Francisco this March (event video).
Orbillion is led by CEO Patricia Bubner, PhD, CTO Gabriel Levesque-Tremblay, PhD, and COO Samet Yildirim, MSc, MBS. Together, the three founders have over 30 years of combined experience in rapid development and scale-up of mammalian cell culture as well as business and product development.
Orbillion also has an all-star advisory board, which includes high-profile food and biotech experts such as Matt Croughan (ex-Genentech, ex-Sapphire Energy, ex-KGI), Ron Shigeta (ex-IndieBio), Guy Crims (Master Wagyu Butcher at Niku Steakhouse, the best steakhouse in SF), Jay Keasling (UC Berkeley professor and entrepreneur), and Caio Malufe (ex-Cargill).
Also this year, the team went through Y Combinator and has raised a total of $6.4M from experienced food and agriculture investors and science-savvy angel investors including: At One Ventures (investors in Climax Foods, Finless Foods, Wild Earth), FoundersX Ventures (investors in SpaceX), Prithi Ventures (investors in Mission Barns, Turtle Tree Labs), Quiet Capital, and others. And just recently, they graduated from Creative Destruction Lab’s Climate Stream.
Now, Orbillion is focused on building out the team and bringing their first product – fine Wagyu beef – up to pilot scale.
About The Role:
This is an exciting opportunity to lead a team, develop technology for a new product, and shape the future of the cell-cultured meat industry. The Senior Scientist, Cell Biology and Tissue Engineering, will report directly to the Head of Cell Line Development. In this role, you will lead a small team and identify, characterize and develop new mammalian cell lines and scaffold technology. The Senior Scientist, Cell Biology and Tissue Engineering, will have a significant impact on the company’s key deliverables and interact closely with the process development and product development groups.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Independently manage and lead junior scientists working on cell biology and tissue engineering
- Establishing mammalian primary cell lines, including isolation, expansion and differentiation
- Analyze and present data to a multidisciplinary research team and communicate recommendations and ideas for future research efficiently
- Develop new innovative ways to biologically recapitulate meat muscle and adipose tissues in vitro
- Identify and maintain collaborations regarding various technologies that can advance our product concepts
- Expertise in mammalian cell culture techniques and derivation of primary and ESC cells.
- Background in cell biology including cell cycle, proliferation, differentiation, and cellular adhesion
- Experience in molecular biology techniques and/or tissue engineering
- Experience with cell staining and analysis using flow cytometry and fluorescence microscopy
- Experience managing technical staff
- Background in the regulation of gene expression in eukaryotic cells
- PhD in Cell Biology, Bioengineering, Chemical Engineering Biophysics, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, or related engineering or life science discipline or 4+ years of relevant industry experience.
- Authorization to work in the US