If you’re interested in learning more, please send an email with “Head of Food Science” as the subject line, your resume, and 1-2 sentences about why you’re excited about the role to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will get back to you ASAP! We look forward to hearing from you!
Location: Los Angeles, CA
About The Company:
Orbillion is a top-tier cell-cultured meat company that crafts heritage meats from wagyu beef, wild elk, lamb, and American bison. After only 4 months of development time, Orbillion presented three of its four different flavorful meats in a first-ever exclusive tasting in San Francisco this March (event video).
Orbillion is led by CEO Patricia Bubner, PhD, CTO Gabriel Levesque-Tremblay, PhD, and COO Samet Yildirim, MSc, MBS. Together, the three founders have over 30 years of combined experience in rapid development and scale-up of mammalian cell culture as well as business and product development.
Orbillion also has an all-star advisory board, which includes high-profile food and biotech experts such as Matt Croughan (ex-Genentech, ex-Sapphire Energy, ex-KGI), Ron Shigeta (ex-IndieBio), Guy Crims (Master Wagyu Butcher at Niku Steakhouse, the best steakhouse in SF), Jay Keasling (UC Berkeley professor and entrepreneur), and Caio Malufe (ex-Cargill).
Also this year, the team went through Y Combinator and has raised a total of $6.4M from experienced food and agriculture investors and science-savvy angel investors including: At One Ventures (investors in Finless Foods, Wild Earth, Climax Foods), FoundersX Ventures (investors in SpaceX), Prithi Ventures (investors in Mission Barns, Turtle Tree Labs), Quiet Capital, and others. And just recently, they graduated from Creative Destruction Lab’s Climate Stream.
Now, Orbillion is focused on building out the team and bringing their first product – fine Wagyu beef – up to pilot scale.
About The Role:
The Head of Food Science will be responsible for product development from formulation through commercialization. This person has expertise in food science, ingredient functionality, and nutrition principles, and will both apply and abide by regulatory guidelines. As the leader of the food science development team, you will work cross-functionally to launch our flagship wagyu beef product. You will also be leading the development of future innovations. This is an
exciting opportunity to develop a new flavorful cell-cultured meat product. The Head of Food Science will have a significant impact on the company’s key deliverables and interact closely with the R&D, Product Development and Bioprocessing groups.
What We OFFER:
- Exciting opportunity to contribute to and work with a small, talented, and fun team
- Competitive base salary commensurate on experience and benefits package
- Flexible work week
- Room for growth with the company
- Drinks, snacks, and happy hours with the team
- The opportunity to taste the future of meat
Your Key Responsibilities
- Lead texture and flavor development for our flagship premium cell-cultured meat products
- Spearhead product development from formulation through commercialization
- Purposeful sourcing of new ingredients in alignment with company goals
- Ensure compliance with food safety, regulatory and quality requirements
- Work effectively with the product development and R&D team to meet product timelines
- Design experiments to understand and create texture and flavor and to optimize product flavor profiles
- Build the food science core team at Orbillion and lead and develop junior colleagues
- Collaborate with external suppliers and partners to identify and test new technologies and ingredients to enhance product texture and flavor
- Generate deep understanding of current meat structure and flavor technologies
- Apply ingredient functionality knowledge to innovate and optimize final product
- Explore alternative manufacturing methods
- Evaluate the nutritional composition, texture, flavor, and color of product
- Determine and optimize product shelf life
- Balance high quality ingredients and best-in-class manufacturing practices with consumer price sensitivity
- Iterate and optimize manufacturing processes, including establishing strategic partnerships in the manufacturing space
- B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. in Food Science
- 5-10 years working for mature food-related start-up or established CPG with demonstrated leadership
- Deep knowledge in alternative protein, food structure and flavors
- Track record of working in product development from formulation to commercialization
- Experience working with Quality and Regulatory teams, a plus if experience includes working with the FDA
- Understanding of texture and or taste development, flavor interactions, and flavor maskers
- Experience in identifying and creating texture and flavor compounds to meet overall product target profiles
- Food formulation and product development experience
- Desire to work in multi-disciplinary and diverse teams, learn new skills, and proactively solve problems
If this sounds like you, Apply today at email@example.com!