If you’re interested in learning more, please send an email with “Food Scientist/Engineer” as the subject line, your resume, and 1-2 sentences about why you’re excited about the role to email@example.com, and we will get back to you ASAP. We look forward to hearing from you!
Location: Los Angeles, CA
About The Company:
Orbillion is a top-tier cell-cultured meat company that crafts heritage meats from wagyu beef, wild elk, lamb, and American bison. After only 4 months of development time, Orbillion presented three of its four different flavorful meats in a first-ever exclusive tasting in San Francisco this March (event video).
Orbillion is led by CEO Patricia Bubner, PhD, CTO Gabriel Levesque-Tremblay, PhD, and COO Samet Yildirim, MSc, MBS. Together, the three founders have over 30 years of combined experience in rapid development and scale-up of mammalian cell culture as well as business and product development.
Orbillion also has an all-star advisory board, which includes high-profile food and biotech experts such as Matt Croughan (ex-Genentech, ex-Sapphire Energy, ex-KGI), Ron Shigeta (ex-IndieBio), Guy Crims (Master Wagyu Butcher at Niku Steakhouse, the best steakhouse in SF), Jay Keasling (UC Berkeley professor and entrepreneur), and Caio Malufe (ex-Cargill).
Also this year, the team went through Y Combinator and has raised a total of $6.4M from experienced food and agriculture investors and science-savvy angel investors including: At One Ventures (investors in Finless Foods, Wild Earth, Climax Foods), FoundersX Ventures (investors in SpaceX), Prithi Ventures (investors in Mission Barns, Turtle Tree Labs), Quiet Capital, and others. And just recently, they graduated from Creative Destruction Lab’s Climate Stream.
Now, Orbillion is focused on building out the team and bringing their first product – fine Wagyu beef – up to pilot scale.
About The Role:
This is an exciting opportunity to develop a new flavorful cell-cultured meat product. The Food Scientist will report to the Head of Food Science. In this role, you will create and improve the taste and texture of our cultivated meat products. There is significant potential to grow with the company as we go to market and expand our product range. The Food Scientist will have a big impact on the company’s key deliverables and interact closely with the R&D, Product Development and Bioprocessing Groups.
What We OFFER:
- Exciting opportunity to contribute to and work with a small, talented, and fun team
- Competitive base salary commensurate on experience and benefits package
- Flexible work week
- Room for growth
- Drinks, snacks, and happy hours with the team
- The opportunity to taste the future of meat
Your Key Responsibilities
- Explore and iterate on food ingredients to create unique formulas and products
- Develop and optimize texture and taste for our premium cell-cultured meat products
- Create cell-cultured meat products together with our product development team
- Iterate on product creations based on consumer feedback
- Work with a cross-functional team to meet the company’s short and long term goals in delivering healthy and delicious cell-cultured meat.
- Maintain and develop standard operating procedures for experimental processes
- Ability to lead projects independently and troubleshoot experiments
- Understand ingredient functionality and be able to formulate new cell-cultured meat products
- Analyze and organize ingredients, formulations, and process information to facilitate efficient and accurate technology transfer
- Understand and highlight the cause and effect of product/ingredient/process changes and identify effective solutions
- Evaluate and propose alternate ingredients that may be used in existing formulas which can lead to a better product, sustainability, or cost savings
- Develop formulation trial plans
- Conducting product evaluation and troubleshooting to transition prototypes from benchtop to commercialization
- Collaborate with external parties on product first-time scale-up, process feasibility, and adaptability
- Collaborate with external labs to conduct physical/ chemical characterization and microbial safety of products from trials
- B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. in Food Science or Food Engineering
- B.S. with 4-7 years or M.S. 2-4 years or PhD with 1-2 years of post-graduation experience in food product development or flavor lab
- Analytical assay development in flavor profiling
- Understanding of texture and or taste development, flavor interactions, and flavor maskers
- Experience in identifying and creating texture and flavor compounds to meet overall product target profiles
- Food formulation and product development experience
- Desire to work in multi-disciplinary and diverse teams, learn new skills, and proactively solve problems
If this sounds like you, Apply today at firstname.lastname@example.org!